7.22.2008

So sad.


Billions knew Estelle Getty as the wise-cracking mama, Sophia, on "Golden Girls," and I'll always remember her as one of the women who taught me a thing or three about sarcasm. Today, Estelle died in her home at age 84. For years she'd been suffering from dementia, and little was heard or seen of her (especially when the girls regrouped for recent publication appearances). Tonight I'll whip out my "Golden Girls" DVD collection, and reminisce about a TV legend who helped – through the hit sitcom she was a part of – bring my mom and I closer together during our evening TV time. R.I.P Estelle. 

Check out a lovely eulogy here and post your favorite Sophia memory ...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww. So sad, INDEED! My favorite character on the show was always Rose, but you can never deny Sophia's great knowledge for sarcasm and wit...

She sure has taught us ALL "A thing or three" about comedy! If there was one lady on that show who truly 'brought it to the table' and was genuinly funny / worth watching, it was Estelle Getty.

Soon enough, I'll join you and watch some old "Golden Girls", laugh hysterically and appreciate all of her work to honor the greatly missed Estelle Getty.

R.I.P.