9.12.2008

'What It Feels Like For' ... Madonna's Brother


A few weeks ago, I spoke with Madonna's brother. Here's part of the story, which is in the current BTL (and at www.pridesource.com): 

“I don’t hate my sister,” Christopher Ciccone – commonly, as he says, introduced as Madonna’s brother – so candidly tells us, as if his tell-almost-all memoir would lead us to believe otherwise. And it probably has. Word was, prior to dropping in mid-July, that Ciccone’s book chronicling his move from Rochester Hills to help his big-dream-destined sister achieve superstardom was being published to stab her in the back for all – and we’re talking a lot, according to best-seller “Life with my Sister Madonna” – she put him through. Not true, says Ciccone, 47.
“That was never my goal,” he reveals from Los Angeles. “I could’ve written that book when I was angry, but I have my own self-respect. I would’ve had to face the world after writing that book. I would’ve been on the defense. Constantly. And I would’ve had to face myself every day, and I don’t feel that way about her.”
The question is: Should he? According to his diva-dishing memoir, Madonna made him her garbage can (spitting throat lozenges into his palms before she hit the stage), used him as a gay PR tool by outing him to the Advocate in 1991, and staged a scene at their mother’s grave – inviting an upset Ciccone along, too – for her documentary “Truth or Dare.”
He vowed, early on in his career as Madonna’s dancer, dresser and confidante, to never talk to the media about her, to lie to protect her, to be there whenever she needed him. But like the gay icon’s ever-evolving career, Ciccone’s in a different place. A place of peace with the past. A place where he can finally tell his story without feeling angry. A place where he can now be known as more than simply Madonna’s brother.

No comments: