4.15.2008

Who'll Say 'Bye Bye' After Mariah Night?


Up until Mariah Carey coached the seven remaining contestants on "American Idol," I was rah-rah-ing for three folks. First, balladeer David Archuleta – and absolutely not so I could hear him crowned "Idol" while crooning another cliched waterworks number. Second, nanny Brooke White – because the wannabe folkie made my eyes so misty during "Let It Be" that I could barely see her biting her lips while the judges praised her.  Third, mellow musician Jason Castro – so I would never have to stop starring at his smile. But then Mariah came, and all I could think about was: How the heck is rocker David Cook gonna perform a song from a five-octave pop princess? Well, he did – turning breezy mid-tempo "Always Be My Baby" into a haunting, stalker-ish rock ballad. He was easily the night's best, even though David Archuleta impressed with his pretty by-the-numbers take on MC-Whitney "When You Believe," Jason convincingly conquered the deep emotions of "I Don't Wanna Cry," and Syesha Mercado proved she might stand a change against Mimi in a singing showdown with the obscure "Vanishing." Who might we be saying, to quote the new single Mariah will perform on results night, 'bye bye' to? Carly Smithson's note-faltering, run-heavy "Without You" or, sad to say, Brooke's Sarah McLachlan take on "Hero" – which I actually dug, even if she rushed through the end – could land the former back to Ireland, and the latter back to babysitting. What'd you think? Did the idols make Mariah proud? Who'll be leaving? And, David, leather pants? Seriously?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here was my take on the night:
Top 7 performances on American Idol:
#1 Jason "I Don't Wanna Cry"
#2 Kristy "Forever"
#3 Syesha "Vanishing"
#4 David A. "When You Believe"
#5 David C. "Always Be My Baby"
#6 Carly "Without You"
#7 Brooke "Hero"

As much as it KILLS me to put Kristy at #2, she did sing one of my favorite Mariah songs and I didn't cringe once. I thought the judges WAY overrated David Cook's performance, and I think Brooke slaughtered an American classic. Honestly no one blew me away tonight, but that's understanding when you sing songs by a voice that has defined the American Idol generation. Jason gets my vote for originality and consistency.

Bottom 3: Syesha, Brooke, and Carly
Bottom 2: Syesha and Brooke
Going home: Syesha

As much as I think Brooke deserves to go home for lack of singing talent and annoyance, I think her fan base is too large and Syesha will undeservedly get the boot.

But it might be Brooke too, I don't know. Any of those three girls are vulnerable, but I think it'll either be Syesha or Brooke.

Kelley Ann Hornyak said...

In my opinion, that was the night that David Cook won the whole competition. I guess only time will tell though. ☺

By the way Chris, I finally subscribed to your blog via RSS (I have joined the 21st century!). Lookin' good!