4.14.2008

Mariah's Sales: More than 'Emancipated'?



Mariah Carey gabbed about her tight and trim bod,  her ex-hubby and haters (like that rag-on-Mariah loser Perez Hilton) to Oprah today. And then, as she sang her eulogistic second single "Bye Bye," the camera showed a video monitor that flashed "E=MC²," the not-so-scientific name of her critically-acclaimed album due out tomorrow (read my review, along with one of Madonna's latest, in Between The Lines in a couple of weeks). So what, right? Well, not only was it one of many blatant "Oprah" plugs for her album – which is available tomorrow! On iTunes! And in stores everywhere! – but, when considering all Island Def Jam's done to promote the hell (and then some) out of the follow-up to 2005's best-seller "The Emancipation of Mimi," you have to wonder: Will the 'Mimi' sequel be the industry's silver lining to shitty sales? I'm betting, with spots on "Oprah" and "American Idol" this week, and the friggin' Empire State Building being lit up in purple, pink and white in honor of the disc, it'll sell 700,000 or so in its first week – enough to shut Perez up when Madonna's album drops two weeks later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 700,000?!? I am a believer in MC and her ability through and through, but that's quite high. I do think it's possible though considering "Mimi" hit over 400,000 with only a semi-radio hit in "It's Like That." (But she did have a strategically planned concert on Good Morning America the day of the release--something comes a week late this time around). I think that number is a little high, but I am not going to doubt Mariah can pull it off. I think Mariah has more widespread appeal than Mariah, and I think she will far outsell Madonna--and we can only HOPE it'll shut Perez up, but I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

Obvi I meant to say Mariah has more widespread appeal than Madonna. :) And I love Jason Castro too...and David Archuleta (I can't get over his semi-insecure, semi-confident, oxymoron adorableness lol).