6.03.2008

Aunt Cyndi!


Cyndi Lauper doesn't want to scare you. So, when she bebops into Michigan for the True Colors Tour sequel, those bright-and-blinding '80s get-ups - what she calls her "own personal museum pieces" - aren't escaping from her New York attic.
The others? "They just kind of wore out. I kind of got rid of them - or they're sitting in a box somewhere rotting," Lauper tells BTL in her mile-thick New York accent.
Two decades-plus after Lauper tried to convince her egg-crackin' ma that girls just wanna have fun, the unpredictable pop icon, whose kitschy wardrobe looked like something borrowed from Rainbow Brite, is now proving to us that while she's totally for merrymaking, even at 54, she wants to use her voice for more than just singing. And - "She Bop" fans - we don't mean pro-masturbation propaganda.
When Lauper's inimitable cords console with an aw-worthy one-liner - "I will always be your friend" - on disco-infused "Set Your Heart" from her latest long-overdue dance disc, "Bring Ya to the Brink," it wouldn't be too out-there to think, "Hey, Cyn's talking to me!"
"I'm kind of like an extended member of the family," she says.
"Kind of"? Heck, we should be calling her auntie.

To read the rest of my interview with Cyndi Lauper, grab a copy of Between The Lines or visit www.pridesource.com on Thursday. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. What an article! I love it and well, you know this. Haha.

It really was a kick-ass article, though. The feeling I get from Cyndi is honestly just like she says - and extended member of the family. After hearing the interview, she truly does make you feel welcome and accepted. What a doll!

I can't wait to read this in an actual issue! :)

Anonymous said...

I have Cyndi on nearly 300 different Magazine covers including HUGE mainstream names like The New York Times, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, Details, Us, People Weekly, shit she's even been even WWF!
Cyndi Lauper and Madonna both have been on an unusually high number of covers probably because they both paved the way and set the standards back in the mid 80's when women weren't such a cool deal in rock-- Then Cyndi and Madonna came along and changed all that.
Out of all the magazines with Cyndi on the cover that I have held in my hands --none made my heart race like this one (I actually jumped up and down holding the magazine to my chest) while screaming YES! YES!
it was better than any orgasm in recent memory.

A Cyndi Lauper cover story?! on a local magazine?! ...LONG OVERDUE.

Oh and Gary....I think we could be friends;)